Several times in these tips, I’ve referred to being on the air as like having a conversation with a friend. But of course, someone who’s just tuning into your show for the first time isn’t a friend – yet.
So if you want to pull that person toward you, follow these two guidelines religiously:
1. Never go so fast that you lose being conversational.
2. Never let the conversation go longer than it should.
It’s pretty obvious that people are tired of fast-talking deejays (particularly in the voice-tracking arena) who don’t sound engaged with us at all. And in coaching somewhere over 1700 people over the years, I’d guess that maybe – MAYBE – one percent of them have a good sense of “how much is too much.” (Hint: “too much” = a lot less than you might think.)
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #327 – A Shoe Store With No Shoes - September 11, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #326 – Where’s the Benefit? - September 4, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #325 – The Conversation - August 28, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #324 – The 2 Fastest Ways to Lose the Listener - August 21, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #323 – Kick Out “Kicker” Stories - August 14, 2019