Several times in these tips, I’ve referred to being on the air as like having a conversation with a friend. But of course, someone who’s just tuning into your show for the first time isn’t a friend – yet.
So if you want to pull that person toward you, follow these two guidelines religiously:
1. Never go so fast that you lose being conversational.
2. Never let the conversation go longer than it should.
It’s pretty obvious that people are tired of fast-talking deejays (particularly in the voice-tracking arena) who don’t sound engaged with us at all. And in coaching somewhere over 1700 people over the years, I’d guess that maybe – MAYBE – one percent of them have a good sense of “how much is too much.” (Hint: “too much” = a lot less than you might think.)
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #336 – The First Thing You Say - November 13, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #335 – Being Entertaining - November 6, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #334 – Being Authentic - October 30, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #333 – Friendly Competition - October 23, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #332 – Everyone Has a Story, But… - October 16, 2019