Several times in these tips, I’ve referred to being on the air as like having a conversation with a friend. But of course, someone who’s just tuning into your show for the first time isn’t a friend – yet.
So if you want to pull that person toward you, follow these two guidelines religiously:
1. Never go so fast that you lose being conversational.
2. Never let the conversation go longer than it should.
It’s pretty obvious that people are tired of fast-talking deejays (particularly in the voice-tracking arena) who don’t sound engaged with us at all. And in coaching somewhere over 1700 people over the years, I’d guess that maybe – MAYBE – one percent of them have a good sense of “how much is too much.” (Hint: “too much” = a lot less than you might think.)
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #418: Composition! - June 9, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #417: A Basic Storytelling Kit - June 2, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #416: Team Show Tip — What’s Your Partner’s Role? - May 26, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #415: Another Tip from Roy London - May 19, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #414: Why Coaching is a Good Idea - May 12, 2021