Of all the things I get asked about, the search for Content comes up far more often than anything else. First of all, you have to look for it, but it’s really all around you. Prep sheets are great for lining bird cages, but real Content can easily be distilled into two lanes:
- What’s already on the listener’s mind – TOP of mind, not just something he/she “has a passing interest in” – filtered THROUGH your observations, experiences, and opinions.
- Things the listener may NEED to know, but might not have heard about yet.
Anything that you have to “reach” for, you should automatically reject. Let everyone ELSE do trivial, typical, or obscure stuff, while you make great contact every at-bat. (Obligatory baseball reference is for my partner John Frost. Go Yankees.)
With the natural flow of stuff that you have to promote (station stuff, events, web features, etc.) and Contests, that’s really all you need. The creative “difference” factors don’t lie in finding “off the beaten path” things to talk about; they’re in HOW you weigh in on and share the things the listener cares most about.
This makes your prep process SO easy.
- Frost Advisory #436 – Are We There Yet? - December 16, 2018
- Frost Advisory #435 – My GPS Is Broken! - December 9, 2018
- Frost Advisory #434 – We Become What We Focus On - December 2, 2018
- Frost Advisory #433 – Encourage Me And I Will Not Forget You - November 25, 2018
- Frost Advisory #432 – I Demand A Recount - November 18, 2018