As the new year begins it’s easy to get bogged down in the multitude of details of programming a radio station; the politics, the personalities, and the to-do list that never seems to get to-done. And yet, there are the more advanced concepts of focus and targeting, serving your core listener, developing the talent, connecting emotionally, and developing a meaningful brand.
But at its core good programming is relatively simple.
Legendary football coach Vince Lombardi began every training camp with these words, “Gentlemen, this is a football!”, which underscores the importance of knowing the basics.
Here are the programming basics:
- Play the music your listeners love.
- Talk about things they are interested in.
- Don’t waste their time.
If you’re a GM make sure your PD is accountable in these areas. If you’re a PD, use this to prioritize.
If you kick off 2016 by getting these things right, then you’re in a better position to begin working on the other stuff that can make your station remarkable!
Happy New Year!
- Frost Advisory #485 – Won’t You Be My Neighbor? - December 1, 2019
- Frost Advisory #484 – ‘Tis The Season To Be Boring - November 24, 2019
- Frost Advisory #483 – It’s Beginning To Sound A Lot Like Christmas - November 17, 2019
- Frost Advisory #482 – A Programming Lesson For Veterans Day - November 11, 2019
- Frost Advisory #481 – Daylight Saving Time: A Programming Lesson - November 3, 2019