In essence, the air talent’s job is to take us somewhere… a journey, from beginning to end. One break at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time.
As you do, either you leave a mental “imprint” on the listener, or you just go by unnoticed, a mosquito making a noise in the background.
While there have been tons of books written about this, one thought, originally from the great acting coach Stella Adler, and used to perfection by my friend Valerie Geller in the Talk radio world, sums it all up: Never be boring.
Stella Adler put it this way:
“You can’t be boring. Life is boring. The weather is boring. Actors must not be boring.”
There’s an easy way to avoid being boring. Simply ask yourself this: “What do I have to offer that won’t be ‘typical’?” Because THAT is what will set you apart from almost everyone else across the dial.
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #364 – Be a Roomba - May 27, 2020
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #363 – How You Start - May 20, 2020
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #362 – Stories Aren’t About What Happened - May 13, 2020
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #361 – Not Wasting Words - May 6, 2020
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #360 – The Better Idea - April 29, 2020