In essence, the air talent’s job is to take us somewhere… a journey, from beginning to end. One break at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time.
As you do, either you leave a mental “imprint” on the listener, or you just go by unnoticed, a mosquito making a noise in the background.
While there have been tons of books written about this, one thought, originally from the great acting coach Stella Adler, and used to perfection by my friend Valerie Geller in the Talk radio world, sums it all up: Never be boring.
Stella Adler put it this way:
“You can’t be boring. Life is boring. The weather is boring. Actors must not be boring.”
There’s an easy way to avoid being boring. Simply ask yourself this: “What do I have to offer that won’t be ‘typical’?” Because THAT is what will set you apart from almost everyone else across the dial.
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #318 – Where You NEVER Want to Go - July 10, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #317 – Storytelling: It’s all about the Ending - July 3, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #316 – The Difference Between You and Us - June 26, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tp #315 – More on the “You Second” Technique - June 19, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #314 – How to Make Interviews and Phone Calls Not Suck - June 12, 2019