Over the last two decades of coaching hundreds of radio stations, I’ve rarely heard this dealt with, except behind closed doors. (Usually the GM or PD questioning me about a “difficult” talent.)
If you really want a better daypart, a raise, or even just genuine respect between yourself and your boss, it has to be earned. Many, many times, a jock has told me that he or she would like to be given a shot at a drive-time slot or maybe being an APD. My answer is always the same: Make yourself the best CANDIDATE for that position.
But if you drill a little deeper, you’ll see that the reason the “higher-ups” haven’t given you that opportunity is actually in the same ballpark that getting the listener to bond with you lives.
Here’s what it boils down to:
Ego without Confidence = no.
Confidence without Ego = yes.
A closer look at this:
We all have egos. A healthy ego is fine, but DISPLAYS of ego are off-putting.
Confidence is what you want to exude. Ego works against that. We all follow the most confident person, but we rarely ever just follow the person with the biggest ego.
– – – – – – –
Member, Texas Radio Hall of Fame
© 2017 by Tommy Kramer. All rights reserved.
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #397: Taking Credit for NOT Talking About it - January 13, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #396 – Production tip: Avoid Dead Silence - January 6, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #395: When to Plan the Next Break - December 30, 2020
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #394: Confidence vs. Ego - December 23, 2020
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #393 – Tasks vs. Creativity - December 16, 2020