Over the last two decades of coaching hundreds of radio stations, I’ve rarely heard this dealt with, except behind closed doors. (Usually the GM or PD questioning me about a “difficult” talent.)
If you really want a better daypart, a raise, or even just genuine respect between yourself and your boss, it has to be earned. Many, many times, a jock has told me that he or she would like to be given a shot at a drive-time slot or maybe being an APD. My answer is always the same: Make yourself the best CANDIDATE for that position.
But if you drill a little deeper, you’ll see that the reason the “higher-ups” haven’t given you that opportunity is actually in the same ballpark that getting the listener to bond with you lives.
Here’s what it boils down to:
Ego without Confidence = no.
Confidence without Ego = yes.
A closer look at this:
We all have egos. A healthy ego is fine, but DISPLAYS of ego are off-putting.
Confidence is what you want to exude. Ego works against that. We all follow the most confident person, but we rarely ever just follow the person with the biggest ego.
– – – – – – –
Member, Texas Radio Hall of Fame
© 2017 by Tommy Kramer. All rights reserved.
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #339 – The Coaching “Starter Kit” - December 4, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #338 – It’s Not the Control Room Show - November 27, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #337 – Like Your Job…and Win - November 20, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #336 – The First Thing You Say - November 13, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #335 – Being Entertaining - November 6, 2019