The other day, I heard a guy who’s quite good RUSHING through every break. Talking to him later, I found that he’d gone through a series of really stressful things, leading to his getting back home at 4 AM, then having to go in and substitute for someone on the air just a very few hours later.
In trying to overcome sleep deprivation, he went the “energy” route. But it didn’t really work, because the listener can almost always tell when we’re overcompensating, or just not quite “in the pocket.”
This is what I told him:
A 12-ounce glass won’t hold 14 ounces of Dr. Pepper. Pouring it faster won’t help.
Keep that in mind the next time you’re not physically at your best. Stay ear-friendly. Fit the glass.
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #293 – How to Use Texts or Emails on the Air - January 16, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #292 – Don’t Itemize. Summarize. - January 9, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #291 – Why it may be better to NOT intro Traffic - January 2, 2019
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #290 — The Twelve-Ounce Glass - December 26, 2018
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #289 – Talent versus Music - December 19, 2018