On a recent ‘listen’ to a guy in New York that I coach, he came out of a Peter Gabriel tune by saying “I still remember when that song was in ‘Say Anything’… back in the late 80s or early 90s… that John Cusack film…”
Oops. Incomplete prep. Not good. With all the resources we have today, there’s simply no reason to not have the information ready. He could have (1) looked it up on imdb.com, (2) Googled the movie, or (3) just asked Siri.
Here’s what I told him: People don’t tune in to hear you GUESS about things. You’re supposed to KNOW, whether it’s just when a movie came out, or what time an act will go onstage at a concert the station is hosting, or telling me about a contest or promotion. Deliver information, not just guesses. YOU’RE the authority. (Or at least you SHOULD be.)
– – – – – – –
Member, Texas Radio Hall of Fame
© 2016 by Tommy Kramer. All rights reserved.
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #402: Team Shows are like a Marriage - February 17, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #401: TEAM Ego, not Individual Ego - February 10, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #400: One Story at a Time - February 3, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #399: MEAN it - January 27, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #398: Never Underestimate Companionship - January 20, 2021