It’s always amazed me how some people resist coaching. Where would any great actor or any great athlete be without coaching?
They’d be in the minor leagues, or be selling shoes to make money while they did Shakespeare to 10 people in a park for free.
Critique and Coaching are not the same thing, so there is that. Some people have had the “under the microscope” experience that makes them feel like they can’t do anything right. But coaching – real coaching – is always about finding what you do best. The rest is just “weeding the garden.”
Yes, you do want to master “the basics” and understand structure and vocal technique and a hundred other things. But if you’re not trying to identify and cultivate what you do best, you’re not growing. You’re just doing the same show every day.
So if that didn’t sway you, here’s the short version: Not being boring and predictable; that’s why coaching is a good idea.
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #418: Composition! - June 9, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #417: A Basic Storytelling Kit - June 2, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #416: Team Show Tip — What’s Your Partner’s Role? - May 26, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #415: Another Tip from Roy London - May 19, 2021
- Tommy Kramer Coaching Tip #414: Why Coaching is a Good Idea - May 12, 2021